Friday, September 21, 2012

Chasing Amy

I love you.  And not in a friendly 
way, although I think we're great 
 friends.  And not in a misplaced 
affection, puppy-dog way, although I'm 
sure that's what you'll call it.  And 
it's not because you're unattainable.  
I love you.  Very simple, very truly.  
You're the epitome of every attribute 
and quality I've ever looked for in 
another person.  I know you think of 
me as just a friend and crossing that 
line is the furthest thing from an 
option you'd ever consider.  But I 
can't do this any longer.  I can't 
stand next to you without wanting to 
hold you.  I can't look into your eyes 
without feeling that longing you only 
read about in trashy romance novels.  
I can't talk to you without wanting to 
express my love for everything you 
are.  I know this will probably queer 
our friendship - no pun intended - but 
I had to say it, because I've never 
felt this before, and I like who I am 
because of it.  And if bringing it to 
light means we can't hang out anymore, 
then that hurts me.  But I couldn't 
allow another  day to go by without 
getting it out there, regardless of 
the outcome, which by the look on your 
face is to be the inevitable shoot-
down.  And I'll accept that But I know 
some part of you is hesitating for a 
moment, and if there is a moment of 
hesitation, that means you feel 
something too.  All I ask is that you 
not suppress that - at least for ten 
minutes - and try to dwell in it 
before you dismiss it.  
There isn't another soul on this 
fucking planet who's ever made me the 
person I am when I'm with you, and I 
would risk this friendship for the 
chance to take it to the next plateau.  
Because it's there between you and me. 
You can't deny that.  And even if we 
never speak again after tonight, 
please know that I'm forever changed 
because of you and what you've meant 
to me, which - while I do appreciate 
it - I'd never need a painting of 
birds bought at a diner to remind me 
of.
 
I watched this movie the other night, and I forgot how much I love Ben 
Afflec's speech in it. I just wanted to share how much of a genius Kevin
Smith is. I may have to have a Kevin Smith-a-thon soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment