Saturday, October 20, 2012

Amazing Experiences

So, on the 16th, I was blessed and was in the presence of the most amazing author this century has seen. I got to hear J.K. Rowling read her words about an incredible world that she has created. Once again, I am in complete awe of this woman.

If you haven't gotten the chance to read The Casual Vacancy, you should. It is the type of book that gives you chills long after you finish the book. It is a book that makes you jealous when you see other people reading it because they still have this whole world to discover. I don't want to give anything away for those of you who haven't yet read it, but it has jumped to the top of my favorites list. It is extremely provocative, and amazingly true. J.K. does an incredible job in creating a fictional word full of non-fiction. Her dedication to each of her characters is beyond a normal writer/character relationship making it impossible to not develop raw feelings towards each of them.

So Tuesday was beyond words. I wish that I could describe just how amazing this experience was, but there are no words. No words to describe how wholly this experience rocked me to my core. Seeing her answer questions. Listening to her spout off lines of pure genius, and yes, even talk about Hogwarts a little bit. It was unbelievable to hear her talk about her writing, and get a special view of how her mind works. It truly inspired me to continuing with my book and to take chances and push the envelope and not to be afraid of my ideas. I really needed to hear that to continue with my work.

I had tears in my eyes when she talked about her former works, and I have chills that still course through out my body when I think of her on stage reading from her book. I don't think I will ever experience anything remotely on this level for the rest of my life. That isn't a depressing thought, it is just a fact. I feel the extreme feeling of awe could not be replicated. It was such a fulfilling experience.

You got to see how dedicated she is to her fans. She signed 2200 copies of her book for her fans. In person. It was surreal to be that close to her and get to speak words to her. She made eye contact with me, and I felt as though she genuinely cared about each and every one of us. Everything about J.K. is fantastic. Her dedication to keep the written word alive and in actual books is inspiring. She has bred a new generation of readers, and kept this art alive in a time where most would prefer to watch a movie or play a video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment