Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Becoming that girl

It is funny the way time can change you especially when it comes to your positions on things that don't really matter. I was never one to need all of the latest and greatest. I still don't feel that I am, but as I grow older and have life get in the way and break me down I can see the appeal of pampering oneself or being treated to name brands.

I didn't get my first manicure until I was out of high school. I got a set of acrylic nails and had them painted jet black to go along with my gothic look and heavy eyeliner. I remember the feeling of having nails for the first time. I would tap them annoyingly on the aluminum bleaches of a local stadium sending waves of pure joy throughout my body.

Then came the routine eyebrow waxing and buying makeup that wasn't named after candy and cost more than 99 cents. I even splurged now and then on named brand clothes of I had a fun event. I stopped borrowing my more stylish friend's clothes and developed a wardrobe of my own.

Next I discovered the wonder of a pedicure! It was unreal! It was like foot heaven complete with its own hot tub. I realized the functionality of a purse and stopped carrying my belongings in my pants and hoodies. At first they were no name cheap purses, then I moved up to the fabulous Vera Bradley. Her rich colors and quality product appealed to me.

Eventually, I grew to appreciate having a nice bag, a pop of color, some extra bling. Then it happened, I bought a Coach purse a wonderful satin handbag with hues of blue and grey. I fell in love instantly, and a little over a year later I was purchasing my second one. This time a bright purple color that I needed to liven up my bland wardrobe. I finally understood that it wasn't the name brand that was important, but the gift to yourself. It wasn't about spending money to spend it, it is about investing in yourself and your quality of life.

So today, I received my first iPhone. Simply because I wanted it. It may be the first big item I purchased where I didn't have to make excuses for why I needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment