Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Power of a Flower



The other day at work a passenger brought me in a flowering plant. It is beautiful. It has little yellow flowers that could brighten up anyone’s day! I am going to leave it in work to remind me that even though sometimes it may seem like I don’t make a difference in people’s lives, I can.

Sometimes it can be really hard moving on from a job where I had so much impact on the lives of children, and I could see how much I helped them out, to moving to a job where I sit behind a window and sell tickets to the public. Most people disregard me, just as I disregard some people. Occasionally, you come across some people who will have meaningless small talk with you because they have time to kill before their train leaves and they are just as afraid of being lonely and bored before their train leaves as they are on their commute in to the station, without the radio blaring to distract them. All they crave is a little bit of human interaction before they divulge themselves into their status reports or their work e-mails on the train. Then there are some people who you see week in and week out and you develop a relationship with them. Those are the people who brighten up your night and put you in a good mood.

And it is one of those people who brightened my night with such an awesome gift. A gift that will put a smile on my face every time I glance over and catch these gorgeous hues of yellow in the corner of my eye. It means so much to me that someone would think of me in such a wonderful way that they would take time out of their incredibly busy schedule and stop and pick out something for me. In a world when it is so easy to feel unimportant and overlooked, it is so nice to know that, at least in some small way, you have impacted someone’s life enough for them to take a moment and think of you.

I am sad that this passenger will no longer be traveling and picking up their ticket with me, but I hope that they enjoy their new life in a new city and that all will be well for them. Even though they will no longer warm up my station with their bright smile and great outlook, I will still think of them and they will still brighten my heart on a day that it seems like nothing is going right.

No comments:

Post a Comment