Saturday, April 13, 2013

An Interesting Observation

It is no surprise to anyone that knows me that I am very pro-equality. As far as I am concerned religious views have no place in government. Also, I feel like government should have no say in the bedroom. And to those of you who say, "oh, but marriage is a religious sacrament and you can't force a religion to change its beliefs" last I checked, my marriage license was issued by the state government. I didn't have to send a letter (or my money) to Rome and say, please Mr. Pope let me get married. So, there is that.

Anyways, before I start to ramble anymore, I am obviously talking about marriage equality today. Why today? Well, I saw something so irritating at work today when I was going about my normal people watching, and it just sent me in to a fury!

Watching people get off a train and reunite with people is possibly one of the best things anyone could hope to get stuck watching as a job. You get to see pure emotion in people when they are reunited with their loved ones again. Or sometimes and entire lack of emotion.

Today there was a man waiting with the cutest set of twin girls I have ever seen. They were probably around 2 or 3. They were so excited to be inside of a train station and they kept very closely to the man, who I assumed was their father and was proven right when one of the girls called him "daddy." They waited anticipation killing them to get to see who ever it was that they were waiting for. The train came in, unloaded, and left. As the passengers walked down the hallway a blonde man approached the girls and squatted down to be embraced by these little girls. They ran up to him and he hugged them and picked both of them up and covered their cheeks in kisses as the girls giggled filled with a pure and completely innocent joy. The man then walked up to the other one gave him a kiss on the cheek and the four of them walked out together happy.

Within a few minutes of that family leaving a mother walked towards the main exit where her husband and child were waiting. Her daughter ran up to her and hugged her leg as the mother patted her head but continues the ever so important phone call she was on. She then pointed to the exit so her husband and daughter would follow her out to the car. I'm not saying I know this family and how they truly are, it just paints an interesting picture.


Which is the better situation? Is raising a child in a same-sex household worse than raising a child in a "conventional" household? In my opinion it comes down to the parents. But my issue is why should heterosexual people get to raise children without question because they can. If you have to go through adoption or surrogacy to get a child what is so wrong with that? Love is love, no matter who it comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment